Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Getting Closer To God

There is a scene in Pilot Season where entertainment lawyer Ken Fold asserts that being a lawyer is the profession closest to God. He claims that law is more worthwhile than medicine because lawyers can "help people AND destroy people"

I think this quote is so apt to anyone who has ever worked in customer service. Speaking for myself, I can honestly say that I enjoy interacting and helping friendly polite people....I will bust my ass in order to make sure they are satisfied. But I must add that I have given up on any semblance of "caring" about the interests of self-centered rude customers. I actively try to destroy them with "eye-rolls", sarcasm and inefficiency.

Having spent over a decade in customer service I can say that politeness level of the American public is plummeting rapidly. I would love to know exactly where these people have interactions where being a condescending prick elicits a speedy and warm response from a customer service rep...

Black or white, gay or straight, rich or poor...you really cannot accurately predict someone's behavior. I always try to give everyone the "benefit of the doubt" at the beginning of an interaction. I assume that they are going to behave as a mature citizen, and if so I will accord them the respect that they deserve. However if they come at me with disrespect, trust it, the gloves WILL come off.

No comments: