Thursday, May 12, 2005

Andy Warhol Was Wrong

I have had the last two days off from work...I was going to write that they were undelightfully unproductive, but a quick mental review revealed my time off as being very worthwhile yet having little materially to show for it. Got to a couple of galleries, talked to my friend Joyce in Chicago, had some cocktails with Jessica (plus some very necessary kvetching time with her), caught up on some e-mail, picked up some books at the library...damn, now that I think about it my time was very productive, even if it wasn't in the direction I intended.


Just had dinner with Cain around the corner at Baluchi's. We had a very worthwhile conversation coupled with some suprisingly good saag paneer. The initial question du jour was "What barriers are there in your life?" That lead to topics such as "destiny vs. freewill" and "fantasy vs. reality" plus other important issues such as contemporary furniture design and the wardrobes of teenagers who play D&D...(still trying to scour that last one from my brain)

I was reminded again of a couple of ideas that I sometimes "forget". First it is really valuable for me to verbalize ideas. So often I get caught up with thoughts marinating in my head. The simple act of talking about a concept gives a necessary perspective shift that allows me to decide the merit of my thoughts and opinions. I get to evaluate if things make sense outside of my brain.

Also I was reminded that when you have a "deep" conversation with someone, there is no bottom on the well of "deepness". No matter how well you know a person you can always be suprised by their personhood...how it evolves, morphs, adapts. Andy Warhol's quote about HIS persona comes to mind...he said that "if you scratch the surface, there is just more surface." Obviously this is not applicable to most people. If you dig into the depths of who they are...there is just more depth



No comments: