Thursday, May 19, 2005

Before Frankie (B.F.) and After Frankie (A.F.)

Today I am celebrating the 10th anniversary of a night that changed my life. On May 19th 1995, on the suggestion of my brother Stan, Cain and I went to Sound Factory Bar to dance to Frankie Knuckles. We were vacationing in NYC at the time and I had never heard the Godfather of House before.

I did not know what I was in for when I walked through the doors of 12 west 21st. The music was so refreshingly clean and positive I instantly had perma-grin. The beats were relentlessly awesome. Then at 3:45am (yes I know, technically the 20th of May) Frankie dropped what I later learned was "Satisfied (Take It Higher)" by H20 feat. Billie.

I am the first to admit that I overuse the phrase "mind-blowing"...but at that moment my mind was blown. In that moment I glimpsed my future. I needed to move to NYC. I needed to have access to a dancefloor with Frankie behind the decks.

The power and gorgeous positivity of the music opened up possibilities in my mind and my heart.

My move to NYC did not happen for two years. But I must say that I was propelled to make the difficult concrete decision to move here by the idea that I would be able to return to Frankie's dancefloor on a regular basis. That was my motivator.

In May of 1997 I took an exploratory vacation to the city before my eventual, permanent move in October. Frankie was playing a club on 28th between 7th and 8th (can't remember the name of the short-lived place) and I got a chance to meet the legend. He could not have been more sweet and genuine to a complete stranger such as myself who was prattling on like a madman about how my life had been changed by my exposure to his talent.

Ten years later, I still think about that moment every time I hit the dancefloor when Frankie is spinning. Every time Frankie spins it is magic. It is a gift of positive energy from the universe...Thank you Frankie and all the people who turn it out on the dancefloor....You ARE the party.

No comments: