Thursday, March 31, 2005

Circle of Death

Last night Stan and I went to the latest edition of "How To Kick People" www.howtokickpeople.com . The theme of the monologues was "best friends". Host Todd Levin did a piece about his group friends at age 13 and the attempt by one of them to get them all to urinate in an empty beer bottle. The beer bottle, through an elaborate plan, would then be given to a hated girl in the neighborhood.

The piece was hilarious and drew memories of my own youth. I started to think about the Silver Street Hawks. This was the street gang I was a member of around the age of 10 or 11. Membership was limited to my older brother Clay, next door neighbors Dave and Rob Reibel, and my best friend Todd Nieman. We were based out of a makeshift "treehouse" located in our backyard.

Like any streetgang, our focus was on creating t-shirts with a menacing SSH logo using only a black magic marker. Our rivals were a gang comprised of next door neighbors Jeff and Dave Finke and Todd and Shaun Carlisle. The name of their gang escapes but I know it was lame.

No comments: