Sunday, September 16, 2007

What Brand Are You?

In the new Interview Magazine, genius Tom Sachs says...



"...I think the best work of art of our time is Ashley Bickerton's Tormented Self-Portrait (Susie At Arles) with all the brands. In my own art I've used brand issues to help me understand my ambivalence about, say, wanting something from Chanel or thinking it's stupid to want something from Chanel. I'm not for or against it; I'm simultaneously both things."

I remember being enamoured with Bickerton's work when I saw it in an issue of Artforum back in '88. I think it speaks to what we have been reduced to in our consumerist society....we are what we buy. You can take this even further in the artworld and find that people define themselves by the artists they love/hate. It is all about purchasing an identity, or getting validation from your "tastes"




No comments: