Sunday, April 15, 2007

R.I.P.


Yesterday as part of my chillout process I walked down Carmine St. It was then I discovered that Vinylmania had closed.
I cannot tell you how many hours I spent in that store. When I first came to New York and was jobless, I would visit on pretty much daily basis. Coming from Nebraska I was thoroughly enamoured with the idea that there was an entire store devoted to House Music.
Every time I exited the store I had at least one or two songs ingrained in my head just from the exposure of whoever was manning the turntables at the time.
Frequently I would use the resourcefulness of the employees to learn the name of song that I had heard in a club. Picture me attempting to sing a song from a deep house diva...not pretty, but it often got the job done.
In his book, Mel Cheren talks about "the Children" leaving the Garage on Sunday morning and immediately walking over to Vinylmania to attempt to find some gem that Larry Levan had just turned them on with.

No comments: