Thursday, February 02, 2006

Three Second Audience With The King

Last Friday I was walking up First Avenue. Around Sixth Street I looked up and walking towards me was none other than Elvis Costello and his wife Diana Krall. Of course I played it cool and did not acknowledge his celebrity. Inside, I must admit, my heart did begin racing a bit.

Although I have not followed his career over the past few years, Elvis Costello will always hold a very special place in my heart. Imperial Bedroom is in my top ten of all-time favorite albums. I swear when I was a sophmore in high school I listened to that album everyday before I went to school. On many occaisions I was almost late for class as I wanted to hear certain songs again and again. It had the perfect blend of bitterness and wit.

In an early interview Costello said that his only motivations were revenge and guilt. While it is understandable that those were similar instincts to me at age 15...is it wrong if those motivations still appeal to me?

No comments: