Thursday, February 23, 2006

Manifestation

Getting ready to go out to dinner with Brian, Carol and Calla. I unpack my suit and begin to get dressed. Then I realize that I forgot to pack my cufflinks. I ask Brian if he has a pair to spare and unfortunately he doesn't. Damn French people, why can't they put a god-forsaken button at the end of the damn sleeve.

How in the hell am I going to secure the cuff. My crackpot mind tells me that if I had a paperclip I could jerry-rig a "cufflink". Can I get more ghetto? By chance, Calla has some blue paperclips...hey, blue shirt...blue paperclips...I am definitely on the right track. They didn't teach this guerilla fashion technique in the Lincoln Public School system I can tell you that....

In my typical "life gives you lemons, make lemonade" mindset, I convince myself that I will single-handedly make the paperclip the hot fashion accessory for Spring 2006....

Three days later I am back in New York. I am walking east on Prince St. when I look up from the sidewalk to see a faggy twenty-something walk toward me. His belt buckle is a 3x4 inch piece of sterling silver in the shape of....you guessed it, a paperclip. How did this child cross the space-time continuum and steal my idea?...Is it possible to just set up an account with the U.S. patent office and just shoot them an e-mail everytime I have a brilliant idea?

No comments: