Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Return Of A Friend

A little over two years ago my sister passed this book along to me. She did not like it and did not finish it but, nonetheless, put it on my radar. I instantly fell in love with it. "Running With Scissors" was one of those books that you truly, desperately do not want to end as it is so enjoyable.

After reading a great book, my first instinct is to read everything by that author. In this case I picked up Burrough's "Dry". As far as drug recovery memoirs by an urban gay goes it was okay. But it contained little of the magic that made "Running With Scissors" so hysterically funny.

Not suprisingly I ended the Burroughs reading series and chalked him as a one-hit wonder. When his book
"Magical Thinking" came out in 2004 I paid it no mind as I did not want to disappointed again (and the reviews were not as glowing)

Inexplicably I decided to begin reading "Magical Thinking" this week and it is absolutely awesome. Reading it feels like reuniting with an old friend who for some reason you have lost contact, and then you kick yourself for letting the relationship not get your attention...

Augusten...please forgive me.

No comments: