Thursday, April 28, 2005

Message to "7th Avenue": Quit Biting My Style

About three years ago I bought a second-hand Champion hooded sweatshirt at Alice Underground on lower Broadway. Champion sweatshirts have been a "guilty pleasure" since college. You can have the ability to discuss the merits of the Antwerp Six or Junya Watanabe's real role at Comme des Garcons all you want...but the 24 year old F.I.T. fag you are trying to seduce at Charm School is going to question your fashion forwardness if you wearing a run-of-the-mill Champion sweatshirt. (A hypothetical scenario...of course)

Anyway, the ridiculously gorgeous blue color and inherent "Reverse Weave" warmth of the sweatshirt renders all other considerations obsolete.

Lately I have had to come to terms with the fact that due to over wear my beloved sweatshirt has some pretty major wear-and-tear. Specifically a part of the collar is torn in such a way that the sweatshirt now has a "V-neck". I thought about retiring this piece of clothing...but like most dilemmas in my life, I eventually said "fuck it"...I am going to continue to wear it until it fully disintegrates.

On Wednesday I went shopping/looking at Famous Friends. Amidst the pretty boring T-shirt selection and the overpriced Nudie jeans that I uncharacteristically covet there was an artificially distressed Rogan hooded sweatshirt of the exact same color as my beloved Champion. Upon closer examination I discover that the sweatshirt comes with a complimentary tear at the collar giving it a V-neck...I swear to Jesus I am not making this up. Needless to say I scoffed at the 250 dollar pricetag and demanded some answers from the slightly shocked store clerk. Come on, this is the most egregious biting of my style since Dolce and/or Gabbana personally ripped off my idea for accessorizing one's neck with colored rosary beads.

Why won't these biters leave me alone, or at least put me on the payroll as a consultant.

No comments: