Monday, October 06, 2008

New York Being New York

On Saturday night I met some friends at an extremely non-descript sushi restaurant on 20th Street. Due to a prior comitment I had already eaten dinner and was going to meet my people, then head out for a cocktail.

When I arrived the meal was complete and the bill was slowly being divided amongst the group. Closing time was rapidly approaching and the restaurant had emptied out. While still at the table I started to fidget. It was time to move on and the group I was with was taking entirely too long to settle the bill.

While waiting to leave the now customer-free restaurant, I noticed an old-school tranny enter the dining room and head down stairs to the restroom. A few minutes later she came back upstairs and stood by the bar. Minutes later a second old-school tranny entered the restaurant and took up residence at the bar. "Hey, this is New York" I think and am pleasantly non-plussed.

As people in my group gather there things and head for the door another old-school tranny enters, followed by a fourth and a fifth.

Out on the street, my people say their goodbyes, in the meanwhile I notice more drag queens and their admirerers arrive...

Needless to say, this is one of the beautiful aspects of this city. At one moment you are eating in a sushi restaurant and half hour later it has morphed into a tranny bar...

No comments: