Sunday, October 26, 2008

Mental Landmark




Shout to the Joyo Theater in downtown Havelock, Nebraska. My formative cinematic experiences are centered around this temple of light and motion.

From an early age "The Wizard of Oz" was my favorite movie, as with most people of my generation I grew up watching it on television. I was probably seven or eight years old when the Joyo did a showing of the classic.

It was the first time I had ever seen it on a big screen and my mind was absolutely shatttered. The colors seemed more colorful and Wicked Witch seemed much more evil-er. Even though I had probably seen it a few times already, seeing it in such a large format literally brought me to tears (of horror and of witnessing the majestic beauty of OZ)

Later on, of course, multiplexes took over. But in my mind this is where a film can be seered into your skull

No comments: