Sunday, June 10, 2007

Unlimited Beauty



Spent some quality time on the dancefloor at Sullivan Room with the legendary Danny Krivit.

His set was so remarkable that I may have to officially designate him my second favorite DJ (behind only Frankie Knuckles).

Danny was playing some ridiculously "techy" african tribal rhythms. He seemed to play a lot of non-vocal tracks, which normally aren't my favorite, but the beats were so relentless that you could not avoid getting into them.

In the midst of these very organic sounds he would blow out an old disco gem. At one point I started thinking that if he played a Sound Factory classic then the party would get out of control....Then as if hearing my thought, the next song was Loni Clark's "Rushing"...needless to say the room exploded.

Danny's ability to mix different styles, eras, the familiar and the obscure, puts him head and shoulders above most DJs out there.

No comments: