Friday, March 09, 2007

End Of An Era


I will probably not attend the closing party of the Roxy tomorrow night. But I must admit that there is a part of me that is sentimental to see it's demise.
Steve Travolta spun there a few times a couple of years ago and tore it to shreds, but other than that the DJs they had were slaves to that overdone "tribal" sounds that only severe drug addicts really enjoy and does nothing to unite a dancefloor.
(In fact the last time I was at Roxy Saturdays, I almost got into a fight, a first at a gay club, but some young punk got upset that his boyfriend was grinding his butt into my crotchal region...don't hate me 'cuz you can't satisfy your man!)
I guess I am mostly melancholy because Roxy was one of the first big clubs in NYC I witnessed when I visited here 15 years ago...and it definitely made an impression on a smalltown boy.
Although Roxy has been a staple for the Chelsea Boy scene, it means one less superclub in the city. I think it also shows the declining importance of the gays in clubland and mainstream culture. At it's inception in 1991, Roxy Saturdays were a circus, a haven for go-for-broke partiers. Now that the gays have been commodified into Abercrombie+Fitch acceptability, a place like Roxy no longer has the same impact.

No comments: