Saturday, March 17, 2007

...Be About It

Some time ago I came across a bit of commentary regarding the difference between Europeans and Americans. The commentator said that when a European looks at a homeless person they think "...There but for the grace of God go I" whereas an American will think "...Tough luck, sucker".

While these statements are, of course, gross generalizations there was something about them that really affected me. Whenever I saw a homeless person or a person with a physical disability I began to concsciously think "...there but for the grace of God go I"

In doing this I hoped to curb the cold-hearted tendencies that I sometimes give in to. In a sense it had the desired effect as I seemed to soften my mental approach or acknowlegement of the seemingly increasing homeless presence in New York.

The other day I was at work. I looked out the window and I saw a man who was limping due to a severe deformity of his legs. As a matter of habit, I thought "...there but for the grace of God go I" but this time the true meaning of those words hit me like a bullet. God/The Universe/The Cosmos has truly blessed me. Although I struggle, as everyone does, my burdens are relatively light compared to a multitude of my fellow humans.

Why my struggles are different or less cumbersome than others is a mystery that will never be solved...As I have mentioned in a previous post, I need to perpetually remind myself that there is no shame in whatever burdens appear on any of our shoulders.

No comments: