Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Defending Icons

A couple of weeks ago I saw this twenty-something guy wearing a black t-shirt with the cover of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" printed on it. There were two strange things about it...first, the guy did not look like the "typical" Joy Division fan and secondly, the t-shirt just had the graphic on it without having any of the text.
After passing the guy I began to develop a conspiracy theory that someone was printing the shirt to sell to trendy people.

A few days later, a young woman came into work wearing the same shirt except it was even more "fashion-ized"...cut for a wider neckline and cinched at the shoulders.

To test my theory and to be a jerk I asked her if she was a Joy Division fan. She looked a bit perplexed while I pointed to the graphic on her shirt. Her befuddled response was "...oh, I am kind of dumb about things like that". As a living public service announcement I informed her that Joy Division was a band.

I wonder if 50 years from now you will be able to sell a t-shirt with a swastika to trendy youth who know none of the history, but just think it "looks cool".

No comments: