Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Brief But Powerful

Last week I had a moment that pretty much sums up my life right now...

I was leaving my apartment, I clicked on my iPod and selected "Da Rockwilder" by Method Man and Redman. It is definitely one of my all-time favorite hip hop tracks and it never fails to put me into a delightful badasss mood. So, I am walking down my staircase and I have this total "attitude" going on in my head, best summed up by Ice Cube's classic line "...fuck wit me, I'll put a foot up 'ya ass"...

I get to the bottom of the stairs and I see this elderly woman named Marie who lives in my building. She has a couple of large bags in her hands along with her cane. I ask her if she needs any assistance and she says that it would be helpful if I just carried the bags up to her apartment door and then she would more easily walk up the stairs herself. I said "No problem" and quickly jetted back up the stairs to drop the bags off in front of her door.

When I came back downstairs she was completely appreciative and thanked me profusely. Again I said that it was no big deal and I was happy to help. It was not an act that would merit a Nobel Prize...but it just felt nice to help someone out...I just got a nice "warm fuzzy" as we used to say.

As I left my building I re-clicked on "Da Rockwilder" and was back in street thug mindset...except that I was smiling at the gorgeous beauty of being able to go from badass to nice guy in about a millisecond. I can't explain how much I prize this ability...

No comments: