Sunday, August 10, 2008

Is It Real Or In My Skull?

Now bear in mind that I don't have a mortgage in default and I haven't purchased a gallon of gas in years, so the following comments may be extremely late to the scene, but the sense of economic dread amongst my fellow citizens seems to be more palpable by the day.

Perhaps it is the realization that there is absolutely no easy answer to our predicament, and unlike past crises we cannot fool ourselves into believing one will appear.

Earlier today I thought that the central question that should arise in the upcoming presidential debates needs to be "What are you prepared to ask the American public to sacrifice in order to get the country back on track?". Unlike after 9/11, we can't suggest that going shopping will pump enough money back into the ecomomy to change the course.

I must admit that I am a little scared at how two politicians would answer this question with an election in the balance...

No comments: