Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Cultural Imperialism



Got out of work late in the day on Saturday, so I missed most of the Dance Parade. Caught up with the festivities at Washington Square Park.

I had a ridiculously horrible headache, so I was not really in the mood of a dance event. I am kind of glad that I was not in the mood as I felt like the event was not as F-U-N as it could have been (the rain from the heavens could have also been a factor).

In anticipating the parade I thought the organizers were trying to make a debaucherous event more palatable by featuring a wide variety of dance groups...cloggers, flagwavers, etc. My cynical hope was that these acts would have been a little "spice" that would accent the fact that the event was really to feature house/tech djs in an outdoor space.

Unfortunately the organizers were more sincere than I am as they really truly put the spotlight on these talented performers. Me...I just wanted a dj spinning vicious beats under a springtime sky.

There were a lot of "rave kids" there (and by kids I mean nostalgic 35 year olds) who looked like they just stepped out of auditions for Party Monster II. Although to me they were annoying...these wide-legged denizens definitely confused the tourists who normally populate Washington Square Park on the weekend.

No comments: