Saturday, January 20, 2007

The Body

Maybe it is the age I am now, or maybe it is that I have been oblivious before, but I am currently facinated by the human body. More specifically I am facinated with the tie between the human body and the concept of pain.

Over the past few years I have had these situations where I could be lying in bed, or walking down the street and all of the sudden there is instantaneous pain somewhere in my body unrelated to the motion or immotion of my body at the time. I don't understand how a headache can make an appearance in the blink of an eye. I can understand how an illness or disease can slowly infect a body. A cough or a few sniffles here and there and then you realize that you have had a low-level "cold" for a couple of days...that I can fathom. But how can you have a normal stress-free day and then all of the sudden have a piercing pain in your arm. Where was that pain before? Was it just hanging out trying to build up the critical mass to fill up the synapses in the brain's pain receptor field?

Maybe I should have one of those full body MRIs to have myself screened for everything all at once.

No comments: